Sunday, August 31, 2025
spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Home2026 ELECTIONSMUSEVENI TO KADAGA: Stop The Self Entitlement, All NRM members Are Equal

MUSEVENI TO KADAGA: Stop The Self Entitlement, All NRM members Are Equal

Citizen Posts
Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Following heated National Executive Committee meeting held at State House early last week and the resultant National Delegates’ conference which climaxed into the election of members of the Central Executive Committee (CEC).

Unlike before, all the old guards in in CEC were sent home as NRM delegates voted only new one’s saving only Museveni as chairperson and Moses Kigongo as the 1st National Vice Chairperson.

Apart from the Northern region and Karamoja region who vice chairpersons died in 2022 and 2024 respectively, the incumbents were beaten hands down and those who sensed defeat and humiliation like Godfrey Kiwanda (Central) and Capt Mike Mukula (Eastern) withdrew at the last minute.

ADVERT: AFRINET OFFERS THE BEST WEB HOSTING AND CHEAP DOMAIN NAMES, WHATSAPP +255747324202

The height of the contest was between former Speaker Rebecca Kadaga and sitting speaker Anita Among who faced off for the 2nd National Vice Chairperson (Female) which ofcourse as expected Anita Among won with a big margin handing Kadaga another humiliation.

Prior to the elections at Kololo, Kadaga had told Museveni to save her the contest like he did with Kigongo. She told the head of state that she has served the party diligently with commitment, loyalty and commitment so she deserved to sail through without going through a huge contest which she surely knew would end in a big defeat.

The former Speaker further told the head of state that the party guidelines stated clearly that one must have done something for the party in the last 10 years to be able to contest for such a top CEC position and wondered why the said guidelines were being flaunted in favor of Anita Among.

In her speech to the delegates, Kadaga decried the voter bribery, intimidation which she said had gone to unprecedented levels to an extent that one candidate had given shs300,000, a smart phone, a Tab to each delegate. She warned that if the vice is not curbed, the party might land in the wrong hands.

Even when her concerns were genuine, the party chairperson never addressed such at the conference and when elections were done. Kadaga who had been a darling in the party collected only 900 votes against Among’s 11680 votes.

Kadaga was deputy speaker when term limits were removed from the constitution in 2005. She was also speaker and presided over the house which removed the presidential age-limit in the constitution which has been described as the only life-line to Museveni’s overstay in power.

Now after the dust settling and those who lost still collecting themselves to move on, president Museveni has lashed at the old guards who all lost in the CEC elections but took a specific swipe at Kadaga for claiming self entitlement.

In a missive posted on his social media pages, president Museveni blames the likes of Kadaga for not working for people. He says if the old guards had worked for the people, the new comers wouldn’t have outshone them like the way Anita Among outshone Kadaga, the way Echodu outshone Mukula, same way Jonard Asiimwe outshone Chris Baryomunsi and all those who lost.

On the guidelines which Kadaga said about the 10 years cap for those who want to contest in CEC, president Museveni vividly said that no such provision exists in the guidelines and even if it existed, it might have been included mistakenly.

“During the NEC conference, the NRM old debate about the equality of members-old and new- came up again. Rt. Hon. Rebecca Kadaga brought up the issue of longevity of membership in the NRM. We had actually addressed this issue long ago. I asked the lawyers to check whether there was minimum time required for this or that office. There answer was no such a guideline”- Museveni says.

“However, even if there was such a provision in the guidelines, it would have been mistaken. The way i explained this many years ago…”- Museveni reveals further.

If you have a story in your community or an opinion article, let’s publish it. Send us an email via news@accord.co.ug. Follow our WhatsApp Channel HERE to see more of our stories.  

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

ADS BY ACCORD COMMUNICATIONS LTDspot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Most Popular

error: Content is protected !!